This is a notoriously difficult topic the KMSL Board has been required to navigate nearly every season.
With so many players, there is inevitably injury or work/personal/family scheduling conflicts for someone on a team.
While we are sympathetic to these topics, we have to draw a line in an effort to ensure fairness while minimizing conflict and preferential treatment.
Ultimately the KMSL Board has collectively decided to limit refunds in the following way.
INDIVIDUAL (PLAYER) REFUNDS
- Players requesting individual refunds for any reason prior to the first game of the season will be granted.
- Players requesting individual refunds for any reason once the season has started will be withheld. This includes requests for refunds/discounts for games missed due to late player registration.
- Individual Refunds will be issued as a discount code. This discount code will be:
- Valid for the following season only.
- Transferrable to another player in the event the player issued the code is unable to use the discount.
- Notification of the intended recipient of a transferred discount code is required prior to the last day of player registration for the following season.
- Valued at the entire cost of registration for codes issued in Fall/Spring seasons (to be used in Spring/Summer respectively).
- The cost of insurance (currently $25) will be deducted from the value of discount codes issued in Summer season (to be used in Fall) due to the league’s inability to transfer this cost across the fiscal year.
- Teams unable to play a scheduled game due to events within the league’s control (controllable field conditions or missing referees) will be given an opportunity to play a rescheduled game.
- If the rescheduled game is not played or no reschedule is possible, a refund for the value of that game will be granted.
- Teams unable to play a scheduled game due to events outside the league’s control (inclement weather or similar) will be given an opportunity to play a rescheduled game.
- If the rescheduled game is not played or no reschedule is possible, a refund for the value of that game will be withheld.
- Teams unable to play a scheduled/rescheduled game for other reasons (such as player availability) have the opportunity to contact the opposing team captain and coordinate an alternate day/time for the game as described in the team captain responsibilities.
- Communication must be received by the league at least 24 hours prior to originally scheduled game to enable us to cancel referees with 24 hour notice (or we will be charged, so no reschedule is possible).
- Any game that needs to be cancelled within the 24 hour timeframe, will need to be a forfeit by the offending team, as we are unable to cancel referees and not pay them if not giving 24 hour notice.
- A refund will be issued to the non-offending team.
- Teams able to play a scheduled game, but with only two referees present will each be issued a refund for the value of 50% what would have been paid the missing linesman.
- Team Refunds will be issued:
- In the form of a single check written for the full value owed each team.
- Directly to the team captain who is responsible for the distribution of the refund to the players.
- Within 2-3 weeks following the last game of the season in question.
IN A NOTE TO THE PLAYERS FROM THE KMSL BOARD:
There has been much debate about issuing refunds due to rainouts and the official board decision is not to issue refunds due to rainouts. While it is out of the control of both the board and the players when rainouts happen, the league does not profit off of rainouts.
KMSL doesn’t get money back either when games are rained out and our fields are unavailable. Usually, we end up spending more money since we then have to rent turf fields that we may have not initially requested. Additionally, when we rent fields outside of our initial contract with the city and teams then reschedule (whether based on player availability or weather), the league does not get a refund on the cost of renting the field simply because we didn’t use the field. We also must pay our referees in some situations when they get less than 24 hours notice.